Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs) are digital assets, and you hold them using cryptocurrency wallets like Metamask. However, it’s common to run into a few snags when holding your token in your Metamask wallet — like your NFT not showing up in your wallet.
Your NFTs may not show up on Metamask because the platform’s browser extension UI does not support NFT viewing at this time. You will be able to add your tokens to the wallet, but you cannot view them unless you use the Metamask mobile app.
It’s also common for your NFTs to not show up even on the Metamask mobile app. However, there’s no need to panic if you used the correct wallet address. Read on to know more about Metamask, NFTs, and the issues you may encounter while using the platform.
Do NFTs Show on Metamask?
Rug pulls and scams can make collecting and minting your NFT pretty stressful. That’s why it’s scary for a token not to show up in your digital wallet. But if you’re using Metamask, there’s not much reason to panic even if you can’t find your NFTs in your wallet.
NFTs do not show in Metamask’s browser extension. You will need to use the Metamask mobile app if you want to view and interact with your tokens. Currently, the Metamask team is working on this problem.
That said, you can still add NFTs to your Metamask wallet using the browser extension. You just won’t be able to view and interact with it unless you use the mobile app. Yes, I know this is a hassle for a feature that should be platform-wide — and I agree.
Metamask’s dev team has explained that this problem is not a bug but a temporary stopgap until they make the necessary improvements to the Metamask platform in the browser extension and mobile versions.
Therefore, you may encounter a few issues even with the Metamask mobile app. For example, some tokens might show up incorrectly or not show up at all in your Metamask wallet.
Right now, Metamask is working on these issues. In the meantime, I’ll discuss the common problems with Metamask Wallet and their fixes in the next section.
Metamask Wallet Issues and Fixes
You may not be able to view your NFTs even while using the mobile app. This issue is pretty common with Metamask and is usually due to the NFT marketplace delisting the token, connection issues, or transaction delays. It’s also possible that some NFTs may not show up correctly due to certain wallet limitations.
Regardless of the cause of the problem, I recommend you do the following:
- Double-check to ensure you’re in the right wallet. You may not be seeing your NFTs because you don’t have access to them in the first place.
- Ensure your wallet is connected correctly. If you can’t connect your wallet to a certain site, contact the site regarding your issue.
- Restart the app a few times. Nine times out of 10, restarting any application solves the problem.
- Clear out the cache. This is especially helpful if you’re using the browser version. Your browser may have stored enough files or information, causing problems when you try to view your NFTs.
If you still can’t see the token and everything else is working fine, connection problems or marketplace issues are most likely the roots of the problem. You can verify if this is the case by heading over to Etherscan to confirm the token’s status on the blockchain and check whether the NFT is on the Ethereum network.
The process for confirming your NFT’s status is pretty simple. All you need to do is type in your wallet address in the search box and scroll down to “ERC-721” at the bottom. The Etherscan blockchain explorer will show you a list of all the tokens in your wallet.
You may also reach out to Metamask Support or marketplace’s support if you can’t find the token on Etherscan or if you’re using other crypto blockchains.
How To View NFTs in Metamask
NFTs are a relatively new technology, and navigating through the cryptocurrency world they’re in can be daunting. Many users have problems interacting with their NFTs on Metamask, especially when trying to view them through their app or extension.
Here’s how to view your NFTs in Metamask:
- Check the NFT’s address on the marketplace. Generally, this address depends on your platform. Most marketplaces will have a hyperlink to the contract address in the “Details” section. Ensure you copy the NFT’s full contract address.
- Open your Metamask mobile app and click on the “+ ADD NFTs” button. Afterward, paste the contract address you copied before into the “Address” box.
- Look for the NFT’s ID. Every NFT has its unique ID, which serves as the token’s identifier on the blockchain. You can find the NFT’s ID in the “Details” section of the marketplace.
- Open your Metamask Wallet again and paste the NFT ID in the “ID” field. Ensure the ID you paste is the same as the NFT ID on the marketplace.
- Click on the “Add” button. You should see the NFT in your Metamask wallet now.
These steps are pretty easy to follow. You just need to ensure you copy the correct addresses and IDs if you want to view your tokens. Bear in mind that this process only works with the Metamask mobile app, and you need to carefully follow these steps to view your NFTs.
Sometimes, Metamask displays tokens automatically. In that case, you should only follow the process above if the NFTs don’t show in the “Collectibles” section.
How To Purchase NFTs With Metamask
Buying NFTs and adding them to your wallet are two completely different things. Although the process of adding a token to your wallet is pretty much the same as that for viewing the NFTs in your Metamask wallet, buying NFTs means using NFT marketplaces to trade.
The process of purchasing NFTs mostly depends on the marketplace you’re using. However, the general steps are relatively easy if you’re using a Metamask wallet.
Here’s how to purchase NFTs with Metamask:
- Download and set up your Metamask wallet.
- Buy cryptocurrency on trusted crypto exchange platforms and fund your Metamask wallet.
- Connect your Metamask wallet to the NFT marketplace.
- Bid for the NFT you’d like to buy.
- Pay and confirm the transaction in your Metamask wallet.
The transaction will reflect in your Metamask wallet in as little as a few minutes to as long as a week. In the meantime, you can use Etherscan to confirm the transaction’s validity on the blockchain.
Remember to be careful when trading your non-fungible tokens. Ensure you use only the top crypto exchange platforms and trusted marketplaces when buying NFTs.
As awesome as NFTs are, they’re also prone to manipulation by unscrupulous individuals, so you should take every possible precaution to ensure your assets stay safe and secure.
You can only view NFTs using the Metamask mobile app, but you can use the extension to make token transactions. Your NFTs may not show up in your wallet for various reasons, including connection problems and wallet limitations.
Fortunately, there are plenty of easy fixes for those, such as checking whether you’re in the right wallet, checking your connection, restarting your app, and clearing your cache.
- Metamask Support: NFT tokens in your MetaMask wallet
- Intercom Help: How do I see an NFT in my Metamask wallet?
- OpenSea Support: Why can’t I see my NFTs in my account?
- Gfinity Esports: Planet Crypto: Does MetaMask Support NFTs: How To Buy NFTs Through MetaMask
- Grow Following: NFT Does Not Appear In Metamask? Here’s Fix
- Investopedia: Non-Fungible Token (NFT) Definition
- Forbes: What Is An NFT? Non-Fungible Tokens Explained
- The Verge: NFTs, explained
- NFT Explained: What Is A Rug Pull In NFTs & Crypto – How To Avoid This Scam
- Stack Exchange Bitcoin: What happens if I mistype the address when making a payment?
- Trade Wise: MetaMask Review: Technical Analysis, Benefits and Drawbacks