The seed phrase is the secret code that lets you recover your Metamask account. The storage location of your seed phrase is a crucial component of Metamask’s security. So, where exactly does Metamask store this seed phrase?
Metamask stores your seed phrase on an encrypted file locally on your device. Even in the event of being hacked, the hackers would need your personal seed phrase to recover your account. If you don’t have access to your device, your seed phrase is gone forever.
In this article, I’ll explain what exactly a seed phrase is and how you go about setting one up in your wallet. I will also discuss how Metamask stores your seed phrase and what to do if you lose your seed phrase.
What Is a Seed Phrase?
A seed phrase is a secret code that lets you access your Metamask account. It enables you to recover your Metamask account in the event that your computer, device, or browser is destroyed or uninstalled. The code is never stored on Metamask’s servers. It’s only stored on your device or computer.
A seed phrase is made up of 12 to 24 words. These words are selected from an extensive dictionary of 2048 words to minimize the probability of two people generating the exact phrase. You and only you use the seed phrase. You should never share the seed phrase with anyone as it provides complete access to your funds.
When you create a Metamask wallet, it will generate this seed phrase for you. The seed phrase is a complex number that would be practically impossible for humans to comprehend. But luckily, it gets translated into a simpler version so that humans can read, understand, and easily take note of it.
How To Set Up a Wallet With My Seed Phrase
- Install Metamask on your browser. You can do this by going to their official website and selecting the “Install Chrome Extension” button or the “Install Firefox Add-on” button, depending on which browser you use.
- Click on the Metamask extension icon located in the top right corner of your browser window. After clicking Create New Account, the system will prompt you with a list of supported Ethereum tokens. Metamask supports Ether, MetaMask (ERC20 tokens), and ERC721 tokens. If you want to use the MetaMask interface to interact with the Ethereum blockchain, select “MetaMask” from this list.
- Select “MetaMask,” and you will be prompted by a short tutorial on how to use Metamask. The instructions follow the simple steps on the screen. Once your account has been created and guided through the tutorial process, click on the “Next” button in the bottom right corner.
- Select “Mainnet” from the list, click “Enable,” and then click on the “Next” button in the bottom right corner. This step assumes that you only want to interact with the main Ethereum network.
- Click on the “Create New Wallet” button in order to continue. Once you have entered your password, click on the “Create New Wallet” button in order to continue. This process creates your Ethereum wallet address that you’ll use when interacting with smart contracts via MetaMask.
- Your MetaMask wallet has now been created, and you can click on the “Next” button in the bottom right corner. You’ll see a screen like this: Your new Ethereum wallet address will be displayed on the screen. You can copy this address to the clipboard by clicking on the “Copy Address” button.
If you would like more help with setting up your seed phrase to your Metamask wallet, check out this video by CoinSutra.
How Does Metamask Store the Seed Phrase?
Metamask stores your seed phrase on your device and is sent to your computer as an encrypted string. When you log in, it decrypts your seed phrase and shows your assets. The phrase is never stored on Metamask’s servers.
What To Do if You Lose Your Metamask Seed Phrase
If you lose your Metamask seed phrase and your computer or mobile device is not backed up, you can’t recover your account. In this case, you’ll need to create a new account and start from scratch. On the other hand, having the seed phrase allows you to move between devices.
If your computer is backed up, you can use the latest version of your computer to recover your account. If you lose your computer, you can use a new device with your seed phrase to recover your account.
Make a note of your seed phrase and keep it in a safe place. This way, even if your device or computer is lost, your seed phrase will still be available. The best thing to do is to write it on a piece of paper. Keeping your seed phrase on your phone as a note or in a photo means other people may see it, including hackers or family members.
You should think of it as a valuable item, such as an heirloom necklace. You would certainly want to keep that safe and not lose it, and the same goes for your seed phrase. Storing it in a safe, for example, is a viable option.
Although storing it in one location is a viable option, many people like to store parts of their seed phrase in different locations. This way, if someone gains access to a storage location, they’ll only have access to part of the seed phrase.
Or if you’re worried about forgetting where you’ve stored it, you could keep the entire phrase in multiple places. This method is more convenient than splitting up the seed phrase, but it’s not as secure.
What To Do if You Lose Access to Your Computer
If you lose access to your computer, there are several options to continue using Metamask. You can:
Restore From a Backup
Suppose you have a backup of your wallet stored on another device (e.g., an encrypted flash drive). When you log in to Metamask on another computer or mobile app, it’ll pull from the backup instead of the local machine’s memory.
However, this only works if you have a backup of your seed phrase and can still log into your account from another device. If you don’t have a backup, unfortunately, you won’t be able to gain access to your Metamask account.
Use a Different Computer
If you can’t access either of these options, then Metamask will be limited to displaying essential information about accounts. You can use other software such as Mist or Parity, which allows users to interact with Ethereum via a web browser without requiring them to download the entire blockchain.
Your Metamask seed phrase is saved in an encrypted file locally on your device. The phrase is a security code made up of 12 or 24 words that can restore your account. It’s essential that you make a copy of this code and keep it in a safe place, as you could lose access to your account without it.
If you lose access to the computer used to manage your Metamask wallet, you need not worry! The seed phrase can be used to either restore the wallet from a backup or can be accessed using a different computer.